Monday, October 5, 2009

One reason why...

...I love Fall and living close to my Grandma Litter - homemade apple butter! I can remember going to her house every year when I was little and helping (as much as they'd let us kids) make apple butter. She doesn't do this at her house anymore, but there's no doubt she's still in charge! (Have I mentioned how awesome Grandma Litter is?)
On Saturday morning I was delivering a cake and as I drove through Bourneville, I spotted Grandma and some others from her church stirring the big pot over a fire.
I knew my plans for the way home had to change! Malachi and I stopped to visit for a while, got some of Grandma's homemade veggie soup (the best) for lunch and sampled the fresh-from-the-kettle apple butter. I was planning on buying one jar until Malachi devoured an entire bowl as if he were eating applesauce. We left with five jars, but as Grandma assured me, "they keep for a long time." I'm not sure that it will matter if they keep or not - they're gonna be gone as soon as I can get to the Mennonite bakery for some bread! YUM!!

1 comment:

Megan Lloyd said...

Ohhhh, I bet Malachi had one big belly ache later! He must have gotten his sweeth tooth from his mother!

Thanks for the memories of apple butter at Grandma Litter's house. I can smell it now!